Catfish dry rub
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1-2 tablespoons chile powder (spiciness level of your choice)
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 3/4 teaspoon lemon pepper (or lemon zest)
• 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
• Other spices as desired
• 1-2 catfish fillets
• Olive, canola or vegetable oil
• 1 handful cilantro, finely chopped
• 1-2 limes, cut into quarters
1. Combine all of the dry rub ingredients in a small bowl, including the salt, chile , onion and garlic powders, black pepper, lemon pepper and cumin. Mix until well combined.
2. Turn the grill on medium-high.
3. Pat dry both sides of the catfish fillets with paper towels. This will ensure the rub sticks to the meat.
4. Apply the rub to both sides of each fillet.
5. Drizzle a small amount of oil on the side of the fillets that will be placed on the grill before placing them both on the grill. You can also squirt a little lime juice on them.
6. Cook for 3-7 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Before you very carefully flip the fillets with the biggest spatula you can find, drizzle a small amount of oil on top and, if desired, a little lime juice.
7. Sprinkle the chopped cilantro on top and serve with lime wedges.
Recipe adapted from “Grilled blackened catfish with cilantro-lime butter” by Shawn on kitchenswagger.com.