A staple in Vietnam, the Bánh mì is a wonderful fusion food involving pâté, bread and quickly pickled vegetables.
Servings 1 sandwich
- 1 roll or small baguette. Bolillo rolls also work
- 2-8 carrot and daikon pickled matchsticks
- 1-2 ounces Pâté liverwurst or another meat paste
- 1-3 ounces of grilled pork if desired
- 4 cucumber slices
- 4 sprigs cilantro coarsely chopped
- 2-4 green chile slices
- mayonnaise (optional)
- soy sauce (optional)
- chili sauce (optional)
- fish sauce (optional)
- Cut the roll down the middle, so both sides are still attached.
- Spread the pâté or liverwurst onto the other side of the roll.
- If using mayonnaise, spread onto one side of the exposed roll.
- Add the quickly pickled daikon and carrots to one side of the opened roll.
- Add other meats, if using.
- Add the cilantro, chiles and any other vegetables.
- Sprinkle soy or fish sauce and chili sauce on the top, if using.
- Close the sandwich and press the ingredients back in between the two buns.
- If desired, toast or grill.
Used in this recipe: quickly picked daikon radish and carrots
A woman in Ho Chi Minh City makes a Bánh mì on Dec. 17, 2017.