Wheeler's peanut butter cookies
These peanut butter cookies need to be refrigerated before baking so they can maintain their shape when baking.
Servings 2 dozen
- 2 sticks butter 250 grams, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar 232 grams
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar 112 grams
- 2 eggs
- 1+ teaspoon vanilla or more
- 1 cup peanut butter creamy or crunchy (276 grams)
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour 220 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups oatmeal (optional) 265 grams, roughly or more as desired
- In a medium bowl, mix the butter and sugars together until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix together.
- Add the peanut butter and mix until it well combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the whole-wheat flour and baking soda until well mixed. Add to the bowl of batter and mix well.
- Add the oats, if using, and stir until well combined.
- Refrigerate or freeze the dough for at least 3 hours or overnight as desired.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Put parchment paper down on 1 to 2 baking sheets.
- Using a spoon, make roundish balls of dough, about the size of a half-dollar, and put them on the baking sheet, spaced about an inch and a half apart. Bake for 8 to 9 minutes. Cookies should be lightly brown on the top and, once cooled, should be slightly soft.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly, then move to a rack or implement for cooling.
Refrigerate the dough before cooking or else the cookies will spread out when baked and become very thin.