Lee Ann's Lemon Bars
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt optional
- 1 1/4 cups sifted whole wheat flour divided into 1 cup and 1/4 cup
- 4 eggs well beaten
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4+ cups lemon juice
- 1-2 lemons deseeded and very finely chopped in a food processor/blender or grated lemon rind from 1-2 lemons
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Cream butter, powdered sugar and salt. Stir in 1 cup flour until well combined.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 pan and bake at 325 degrees F for 25 minutes. I suggest using parchment paper to line the pan.The lemon filling will be added on top of the hot crust once it comes out of the oven.
- Cut the lemons into slices, remove seeds and blend in a food processor or blender with the lemon juice.
- Mix the blended lemons/juice and granulated sugar. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Add the eggs to the lemon and sugar mix until well combined. Mix in the last 1/4 cup flour.
- Take the crust out of the oven (it's been in for 25 minutes) and pour the filling onto the hot crust and put back in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool, possibly overnight.
- Optional: Sprinkle the top of the lemon bars lightly with powdered sugar.
- Cut into bars. They can be served at room temperature or refrigerated.
The pith and rind from the blended lemons makes these lemon bars especially tart. Go with just a rind if tartness is not your thing.