For 1/3 of a gallon of eggnog
- 12 eggs
- 11⁄2 cups brandy
- 11⁄2 cups spiced rum
- 41⁄2-5 cups whole milk. For a richer taste, use 21⁄2 cups whole milk and 21⁄2 cups light cream (or half and half)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar (more or less to taste)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 whole nutmeg, grated, or, 2 tablespoons ground
- 1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-2 teaspoons ground powdered ginger
- Beat the eggs until they are a light yellow color.
- Slowly mix in the brandy and rum so the eggs do not stiffen out.
- In a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream until it begins to stiffen or peak.
- Fold or mix in the heavy cream with the egg and alcohol mixture. Add the whole milk (or light cream) to the egg, cream and alcohol mixture while stirring. Mix in the sugar.
- Grate the nutmeg into the liquid or add ground nutmeg.
- Mix in the vanilla, cinnamon, cloves and ginger.
- Refrigerate for at least a week before consuming. The alcohol, egg and spice flavors will mellow and blend with time. I store the mixture in glass jars. Make sure to vigorously mix the eggnog before serving, which is made easier in a lidded mason jar. Keep refrigerated.