2 cups uncooked rice
2 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
(For a discussion on which rice to use, please see my blog post here.)
- In a measuring cup, mete out 2 cups of uncooked rice
- Wash the rice if desired, until water runs clear.
- Pour uncooked rice into rice cooker.
- In a measuring cup, Measure out 2 and 1/2 cups water. Pout into rice cooker.
- Close rice cooker and turn on.
- While the rice cooks, measure out 1/2 a cup of rice vinegar in a microwave-proof container, if possible.
- Add the sugar and salt to the vinegar. Mix to combine.
- Heat the vinegar up in the microwave, while mixing periodically, until all the sugar and salt is dissolved. Once dissolved, move it to the freezer while waiting for the rice to finish cooking.
- Once the rice cooker either turns off or turns to warm, allow it to sit undisturbed for 5-15 minutes.
- Open the rice cooker and quickly mix the rice one or twice. Replace the lid and wait another 5 minutes.
- Remove rice from cooker into a large non-reactive bowl.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the rice and, with your rice spoon/mixer (oversized, flat spoon), lightly mix with a forward-pushing motion.
- If making sushi, cover bowl with a wet towel and allow to cool further. If consuming rice bowls, consume!
See, or download, all the full-quality photos on Flickr.