Spicy cranberry sauce/relish
A spicy cranberry sauce that goes well with turkey.
Servings 6 people
- Medium-sized sauce pan
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 2 jalapenos finely diced
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chile powder
- 1 tbsp grated ginger can substitute powdered ginger
- 12 ounces cranberries
- 1/2 cup water
- Combine the sugar, jalapeños, lemon and lime juice, salt, chile powder and water in a medium sauce pan and put over medium-high heat. Stir, as it simmers, until the sugar dissolves, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the ginger and cranberries and bring the combination to a boil.
- Once it boils, reduce the heat to medium and stir enough so the cranberries do not burn on the bottom of the pot. Continue to simmer (and periodically stir) until the cranberries soften and there is no liquid remaining in the pot, between 15 to 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool and refrigerate until it’s ready to be used. It will store for two weeks.
Recipe adapted from David Tanis.