- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons (1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon) vanilla, more to taste
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 cup and 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 4 eggs
- Ground cinnamon as required for garnish
- Pour the milk into a medium pot and set on medium heat to warm the milk. Do not boil.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and reserve both.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks, sugar, flour and salt until well combined.
- Using spoonfuls at a time, add warm milk to the egg yolk mixture, until about 1 cup has been added, mixing as the milk is added.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the sauce pan, increase heat to medium-high and stir constantly until the mixture reaches the desired consistency.
- Once the mixture thickens, add the vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg whites and the tablespoon sugar. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold the egg whites into the natillas in the pot.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on the top.
- Divide into serving dishes and serve while hot.
- Put remaining natillas into the refrigerator and serve the next day, cold.
Recipe adapted from user angelfyre#2 on food.com.