For 1 liter of Glühwein
- 1 liter red wine, usually a heartier red, although I suggest staying away from Cabernet Sauvignon. Cheaper is usually better because the mulling decimates the nuance of the wine. Decent boxed wine or jug wine often works wonders on the palate, the brain and the wallet.
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 round orange slices
- 2 full cinnamon sticks (4 half-sticks)
- 10 allspice (1-2 teaspoons ground)
- 10 cloves (1-1 ½ ground)
- ½ a star anise
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ a nutmeg
- 3 cardamon pods, opened
- 5 half-inch slices of fresh ginger, quartered
- ⅛-1/4 cup sugar
- Put all the ingredients in a pot on low heat with a lid on or partially on for 1-3 hours. If the mixture begins to boil, remove the lid momentarily. The key to mulling is to heat up the ingredients without boiling off the alcohol.