- 2 pounds zucchini
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 to 1 medium-sized onion or 4 scallions
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1/2 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Oil as needed for pan frying
- Shred the zucchini through the large holes of a grater. Transfer to a strainer on top of a bowl and toss with the salt and let sit for 10-30 minutes.
- Wring out the zucchini shreds, either by hand or by putting handfuls into the center of a clean dishtowel and twisting the towel. Try to get out as much water as possible.
- Finely mince the onion or shred it with the grater. Mince the fresh dill and the garlic.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat and add a little bit of oil.
- Mix in the zucchini, the feta cheese, the onions or scallions, the dill, the garlic and the pepper. Mix.
- Sprinkle and mix in the baking powder and flour until well combined.
- Drop large spoonfuls of the batter onto the skillet, but do not crowd them together. Lightly press down on the fritters with the back of a spoon.
- Turn when golden brown, about three minutes. After the other side is golden brown, remove to a plate and serve with tzatziki and zhug.
Recipe adapted from Cook’s Illustrated magazine, Aug. 6, 2007.