• 4 bacon strips, diced into ½ inch pieces
• ¼ cup dried cranberries
• Vegetable oil as required
• 1 lb. Brussels sprouts
• 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Optional: ¼ cup roasted salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
• Optional: 1 tablespoon brown sugar
1. Cut off the ends of the Brussels sprouts, remove the outer, tough leaves and halve or quarter them, depending on the size.
2. Put a large cast iron or heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the chopped bacon and cook until crispy. Remove to a separate dish.
3. Add the dried cranberries to the pan and cook for one minutes, until they are warmed and softened. Remove to the bacon dish.
4. Increase the heat to medium high and add the Brussels sprouts, making sure not to crowd the pan. Add vegetable oil if needed. Cook until all are golden brown. If they did not all fit in the first batch, repeat.
5. Add the bacon, cranberries and peanuts, if using, to the skillet, along with any already finished sprouts. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir until the liquid has evaporated.
6. Add salt or pepper to taste. Serve or reserve and heat up just before serving.
Recipe adapted from Our Salty Kitchen.
Full-quality photos available on Flickr.