- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 1/4 cups sifted whole wheat flour divided into 2 cups and 1/4 cup
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1-2 lemons, very finely chopped in a food processor/blender or 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Cream butter, powdered sugar and salt. Stir in 2 cups flour until well combined. Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 pan and bake at 325 degrees F for 25 minutes. I suggest using parchment paper to line the pan.
- Combine the lemon juice and sugar. Mix in the beaten eggs. Mix in the last 1/4 cup flour and food-processed lemon or 2 teaspoons lemon rind.
- Take the crust out of the oven after 25 minutes and pour the filling onto the hot crust and put back in the oven for 30 minutes. Allow to cool, possibly overnight.
- Optional: Sprinkle the top of the lemon bars lightly with powdered sugar.
- Cut into bars. They can be served at room temperature or refrigerated.